Do you have a question?

First Name:
Surname:
Email:
Phone:

Build a minimal image viewer
Last Post 19 May 2011 01:23 PM by stewart. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

--
14 Dec 2008 11:08 AM  

Hi,

I'm new to ClearCanvas and am trying to test out its modularity and extensibility for a larger project.  What I have in mind is to quickly build a minimal image viewer just with the following:

1). reading and loading (plain) DICOM image files for a single DICOM study in a local folder / directory

2). displaying basic patient and study info (eg. patient id, patient name, study description, etc.)

3). displaying all thumbnail images for the DICOM images in the study in a thumbnail strip and each can be clicked to load into the view

4). providing the user with 2 image display layouts: One for a single image and the other for two images side by side

5). providing the user with 3 - 4 tools, such as window and level, image rotation, line annotation and cine

I don't know what the best approach to doing this.  Is it better to strip down the ClearCanvas.desktop?  Is it better to use the SDK to build from scratch?  Any suggestions and guidance are great appreciated.  Thanks.

(I have fair amount of experience in DICOM with dcmtk and .Net / C#)

--
15 Dec 2008 06:14 PM  
Did anyone did something similar before? Any advices or suggestions?
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Dec 2008 10:34 PM  
Hi,

I think that should be a very doable development project.

1) You can probably ImageViewer.Explorer.Local plugin for this.

2) How do you want to display this?

3) If don't mind the drag and drop, you can use the ImageViewer.Thumbnails plugin as is. If you want to change the functionality so that it's display on click, you can modify the code as you need

4) Look at the ImageViewer.Layout.Basic plugin project as a guide, then write your own.

5) Include the ImageViewer.Tools.Standard and ImageViewer.Tools.Measurement plugins, then remove the tools you don't want from the ClearCanvas.Desktop.Executable.exe.config file. (I think that should work...try and see if it does.)

I'd probably recommend building from source, instead of the SDK, since it sounds like your interested in doing something fairly custom. Load ImageViewer.sln, make the changes you need, build the solution, then add/remove the appropriate plugins from the plugins directory. (Sounds easier than it is, if you're not familiar with how things work.) Unfortunately, we don't have a simple process for building custom viewers yet. There's a fair bit of complexity in the post build steps and we've optimized for more typical use cases. But I can tell you that what you're trying to do is very doable.

N.

--
16 Dec 2008 07:36 PM  
Thanks Norman. I will try what you suggested. I may have more questions in the process...

--
09 Jan 2009 08:22 AM  
Just a quick update: I verified that this is completely doable. Thanks for your suggestions.

--
04 Aug 2010 05:35 AM  
Hi,

Celerity could you explain how you achieved this in detail? Maybe you could provide any sample code of your project as well, if it is possible. Thanks in advance.

--
18 May 2011 05:34 AM  

hi norman and celerity,

I created a windows form, could you please direct me to add the image viewer component to my form.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 May 2011 01:23 PM  

See here.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.1