Do you have a question?

First Name:
Surname:
Email:
Phone:

Building RIS from source
Last Post 20 Sep 2010 02:48 PM by stewart. 55 Replies.
Printer Friendly
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages Informative
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
13 Dec 2008 05:07 PM  

This post explains how to build the RIS from source and how to set up a local developement server.

Building the RIS:

- Install the Ruby runtime.  Some of the source code is generated at build-time using a Ruby-based code generator.  Ruby for windows is currently found here: http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

- Check-out the entire ClearCanvas 2.0 Tag from the repository.  The URL is:

https://sourcebrowser.clearcanvas.c...iewer20SP1

- cd to /Ris

- Open a VS  2005 Command Prompt in the Ris folder and run:

msbuild ris.proj

This will build both the server and the client.

Setting up the server:

- A database server is required.  Only SQL Server 2000-2008 have been tested.  Other DB servers may or may not work.

- Create a new database in SQL Server using Enterprise Manager or an equivalent tool.

- Modify the file /Healthcare/Hibernate/App.config file.  Set the "connection_string" and the "default_schema" properties appropriately.  Modifying any other properties is not recommended.  Rebuild the solution to ensure that these changes are copied to the main configuration file.

- cd to /Ris/Server/Executable/bin/Debug and run the following command:
    ClearCanvas.Ris.Server.Executable DdlWriterApplication /out:db.sql

This will generate a database creation script and save it in the file db.sql.  Run this script against your newly created database to create an empty RIS database.

- From the same directory run the following 2 commands in succession:

ClearCanvas.Ris.Server.Executable Authentication.Setup.SetupApplication

ClearCanvas.Ris.Server.Executable Common.Setup.SetupApplication

Running the server:

- The server and client will only communicate over a secure channel, which means that even during development an X509 certificate is required.  Run the command

/Ris/Server/cert-setup.bat

This will generate a test certificate for the name "localhost" and install it on the machine such that is it accessible to the server and the client.  (Note: this will fail if you do not have makecert.exe and certmgr.exe installed)

- At this point you are ready to run the RIS application server.  In production this would typically run as a service, but for development it is generally easier to run it via the console.  From the bin/Debug directory again, run
    ClearCanvas.Ris.Server.Executable Server.Application

By default the server listens on localhost:8000.

Connecting to the server:

- Launch the client from /Desktop/Executable/bin/Debug by double-clicking on ClearCanvas.Desktop.Executable.  A login prompt should appear after the splash screen.

- Login as 'sa', password is 'clearcanvas'.  You will be prompted to change this password immediately.

[Note: menu and toolbar items will appear out of order because they have not yet been configured... ClearCanvas should provide a default menu/toolbar configuration file...]

Further setup:

- From the client, go to Admin/Authority Groups.  Click on the "Import" toolbar button.  This is a one-time manual installation step that is required to fully initialize the permissions system.

- Edit the "Administrators" group.  Ensure that all available permissions are assigned to the Administrators group (unless for some reason you don't want this to be the case).

- Go to Admin/Users and create a new user account.  The 'sa' account is primarily intended as a bootstrap account.  It is recommended that all users have their own personal account.  Press the "Add" toolbar button on the Users page. Choose a User ID, etc., and add yourself to the Administrators group.  It is recommended that you associate a Staff person with the user account, since only accounts with an associated Staff can access the workflow portion of the application. To do this, go to Admin/Staff, create a new Staff entry, and associate your user account to this staff.

- Once you have created your user account/Staff record, exit the application and login again using your own user ID.  Notice that the home page automatically appears when you login as a user associated with a Staff.  This behaviour can be controlled under Tools/Options.

- The client contains many embedded web pages.  A web server must be configured to supply these pages.  Copy the contents of /Ris/web/ to your desired location, and use the IIS console to expose this as a website.

- Go to Tools/Utilities/Configure Settings.  This screen allows modification of settings that affect global application behaviour.  Click on the "Import" button in the top toolbar.  This is a one-time manual installation step that is required to fully initialize the configuration system.

-  In the upper portion of the same screen, locate the group named ClearCanvas.Ris.Client.WebResourcesSettings.  In the lower portion of the screen, select the BaseUrl setting.  Edit this setting to point to your website as defined in the previous step, and save your changes.

Using the system:

- At this point, the system is essentially functional, but not useful as it contains no data.

- The Admin screens can be used to manually add data to the system.  Bulk import mechanisms exist but they are not documented. 

Working with the code:

-There are two solution files, one for the server and one for the client:
    /Ris/Server/RisServer.sln
    /Ris/Client/RisClient.sln

- It is important to do the initial build using msbuild prior to opening RisServer.sln in VS, so that the generated source code files are created.

--
12 Jan 2009 06:21 PM  

Hello,

I try to make a build on WinXP with .Net3.0, Ruby, VS2008, MS FW 2.0 SDK installed.
Do you have any suggestions, why I've got the some error messages in the very end of build compilation:

Please check the attachment containing compilation log.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Attachment: 001_RIS_compilation_log.txt

--
12 Jan 2009 06:41 PM  
However the build succeeded when I run it from SDK Command Prompt.

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
12 Jan 2009 07:57 PM  
You need to build from the Command Prompt the first time in order to generate the source code. After the initial build, subsequent builds can be done in Visual Studio.

--
19 Jan 2009 05:13 PM  

Hi,
I've finally compiled the build and run CCserver and client.
Thanks for detailed explanation.

At the first glance CC RIS is a very promising system.
Waiting for new RC.

--
19 Jan 2009 06:34 PM  
How it is possible to connect CC RIS and ImageServer with Viewer to load images selecting studies from RIS?

Regards

--
21 Jan 2009 03:33 AM  
How to download from svn://svn.clearcanvas.ca/source/Xian/Tags/ClearCanvas1.3/ ?

regards Emanuel

--
21 Jan 2009 05:56 AM  
Hi, Emanuel

To get the code You need an SVN client installed like Tortoise.
First better to read CC DevelopersGuide:
http://clearcanvas.ca/docs/Sdk1.3/DevelopersGuide/
Srcroll the guide to "Getting the Code".

That's it.

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
21 Jan 2009 08:08 AM  

Urry-

I believe the code to do that is in a plugin found here:

\Xian\TricOS\ClearCanvas1.3\Ris\Client\ViewerIntegration

I'm not sure if it is built by default.  You may need to change your build script to include it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
21 Jan 2009 08:34 AM  
Hi Urry, the ViewerIntegration plugin gets built/included by a different solution (Ris/Client/RisClient_NativeViewer.sln). It will create a build of the Ris client with the CC viewer integrated into it.

There are a couple of things to note about it:
- You must build the ImageViewer/ImageViewer.sln first before trying to build the 'native viewer' solution.
- it is a 'Ris Centered' build, so there are some viewer components that are missing, specifically the study and file browsers. You shouldn't really need them, though. At startup, the viewer is pretty much hidden, and the only way to get it to open is by selecting 'View Images' from a worklist, or double-clicking to start a report.
- There is a command-line msbuild option (FullViewer=true) to build it with a 'full viewer' (e.g. with the study and file browser), but there are some issues with the look and feel when this is done. You need to build the corresponding .proj file, rather than the .sln.

Hope this helps,
Stewart

--
27 Jan 2009 05:58 AM  

Thanks for that info urry.
Too bad i'm no wonder in compiling sourcecode but still managed to get by. Too bad i'm no good at hibernate... Woul really be nice to be able to use the MySql server with nhibernate.

So I guess i'll wait until official release. (And maby support for mysql?) 
Great work! (Tried the demo online)

/Emanuel

--
09 Mar 2009 08:18 AM  
hi all,
I am getting an exception at
- From the same directory run the following command:
ClearCanvas.Ris.Server.Executable Enterprise.Authentication.Setup.SetupApplication

at
PersistenceContext.cs ADOException was unhandled.command prompt says unhandled exception:NHibernate.ADOException:cannot open connection login failed for user sa:....

but I have changed user name and password in all instances of hibernate.cfg.xml but I don't why this error is still there.Is there anything else I need to change.

--
09 Mar 2009 08:58 AM  
To test, try to connect MSSQL via osql.
Run cmd, type: osql -s localhost\SQLEXPERSS -U sa -P [sa password].

Also check server declaration in cfg.xml

--
09 Mar 2009 01:00 PM  
Modify the file /Healthcare/Hibernate/hibernate.cfg.xml. Set the "connection_string" and the "default_schema" properties appropriately. Modifying any other properties is not recommended. Ensure this file is copied to the output directory (rebuilding will ensure this happens) prior to next step.

what does this mean "Ensure this file is copied to the output directory (rebuilding will ensure this happens) prior to next step."
Thnx

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
09 Mar 2009 01:25 PM  
The output directory refers to the directory where ClearCanvas.Ris.Server.Executable is being executed. The hibernate.cfg.xml file must be copied here.

--
11 Mar 2009 08:24 AM  
thnx all,
How can I put some data in my RIS Client,can't get any documentation for that.

Basic Member
Basic Member

--
24 Mar 2009 10:49 PM  
Any chance of providing generic bulk data with procedure codes, etc?

--
02 Apr 2009 08:42 PM  

firstly i m a user not developer

but i m trying to build the ris from the source code

i follow the procedure supplied above and i m stopped at this point

"This will generate a database creation script and save it in the file db.sql.  Run this script against your newly created database to create an empty RIS database"  ????????

could any body explain this step ?

thank you

--
03 Apr 2009 02:46 AM  

Hi Jonathan,

I have successfully build the RIS Server and Client, via VScmd and VS2005standard, but it seems that the Tools->Utilities->Configure Settings menuItem is not present (with both VScmd and VS2005 builds) [only Export Action Model and Desktop Monitor are present].

I have logged in with two staff users and with sa, all with the same results.

I found a work around and served the ris/web as "RIS" on IIS but it seems there is much more configuration that I could need in Configure Settings.

Why is Configure Settings not displayed?

Also once I have build the project, I enter a new patient record "Joe Doe" MRN=1.

The next screen presented the data I had entered within the right content panel, then once i navigated away from this the record could not be found.

The next day, I loaded up the RIS server and client, and tried to enter in a new patient record "Joe Doe" MRN=1 and got this exception:

Invalid Patient Profile.
MRN conflicts with an existing Patient Profile.

I looked at the PatentProfile_ table in sqlserver and and it contained two records (Joe Doe and Andrew Anonymous Glover).

Both patient records are not displaying.

Any Ideas ???

Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
03 Apr 2009 12:46 PM  
mahmoud: you need to use SQL Server Enterprise Manager or an equivalent tool to execute the db.sql script to create the RIS database. You may want to wait for the installable product, which we are hoping to release within the next few months.

denver: sounds like your Administrators group is missing the authority tokens to access the configuration screen. Be sure to follow the steps in the "Further setup" section in the initial post. As for searching, I assume you are searching by patient name, in which case you need to put last name first. A search for "joe doe" won't return anything but a search for "doe" or "doe j" or "doe joe" should work.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>

Active Forums 4.1